Wednesday 3 April 2013

Motivation

I don't own many books on running but there is one that I always have nearby that I often refer to or pick up whenever I need a boost. It's Kara Goucher's Running For Women (2011).

Goucher is an American Olympic distance runner and young mother. Her book is written in a way that makes it easy to grab some great advice on everything from starting the sport to training for your first marathon. She also has a section dedicated to running during and after pregnancy. Scattered throughout the chapters are some of her favourite quotes - little bits of wisdom and inspiration - from all kinds of people in the sport, from coaches to star athletes.

When I was finding myself feeling a little blue after the Around the Bay run two Sundays ago (I still have not gone out for a run, partially resting but partially discouraged about our cold windy April weather), I reached for Goucher's book, knowing there was something written in there about "depression after a marathon." I felt a little better immediately after reading it, knowing that what I was feeling was normal. What Goucher said was this: "I have gone through a period of depression after all of my marathons. I work so hard in preparation and it becomes my biggest focus for nearly three months.When it is all said and done, I'm sad that it is over." Goucher goes on to say she allows herself to feel sad for a couple of days, then focuses on enjoying her rest period, which may last a couple of weeks. After that, she begins planning for her next race, and the excitement begins to build again.

Ok, so it's been a week and a half of down time, with a spattering of strength and spin classes thrown in (plus one late night dinner party with old friends tonight, hence the very late blog post.) I have decided not to feel guilty about giving my legs a rest. Thank you Kara Goucher, once again. Here are some great quotes from her book.

Motivational Running Quotes from Kara Goucher's Running for Women:

"Have a dream. Make a plan, go for it. You'll get there. I promise."
(Zoe Koplowitz, Achilles Track Club member with multiple sclerosis who required 24 hours on crutches but finished the 1993 New York City Marathon.)

"I was too embarrassed to be another fat guy in new running shoes and sweats, so we'd go out at night with a flashlight...I found out that runners weren't judgemental." (George "Norm" Wendt, actor, Cheers)

"I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart." (Mike Fanelli, club coach)

"They're very tenacious. They're dedicated. Once a woman decides she's going to do something, she'll probably stick to it. The only problem with women is that if there's anything wrong with them, they won't tell you. They get out there and run on one leg. They don't moan and groan like a lot of men do." (Arthur Lydiard, famed New Zealand running coach)

On deciding to incorporate running into your life: "Remember, you are a runner no matter what anyone says, or a person who runs - take your pick. Point being, there's no litmus test for being a runner and no arbiter. You are a runner when you say (and believe) you are a runner. Period." (Kara Goucher)

No comments:

Post a Comment