Saturday 2 March 2013

How to Make -10 Degrees Celsius Seem Warm

I hate feeling cold. Ask my husband. He is astounded at how many layers of blankets I need before I can feel comfortable enough to sleep. I often wonder how someone like me could have been born in January in Canada and not like the cold.

Today our run group ran 23 kilometres in -10 C with a bit of wind thrown in on the east-west sideroads. I read the weather forecast the night before and the temp didn't thrill me one bit, especially when the "wind chill" estimate was -18C. Ugh. This is my first winter where I have "had" to train, seeing as I signed myself up for Hamilton's legendary 30K Around the Bay race held at the end of March. So having to commit to long distances in frigid temperatures is new to me. But you know what? Not even halfway into our run, I commented "Hey, it's actually not very cold out here, is it?" Granted, I was wearing a few too many neck warmers and had a cozy vest on under my waterproof/windproof running jacket, but I felt warm, and the cold air felt great on my sweaty face.

Conversations with friends make the run go by smoothly. Here are a few tips and thoughts from today:


  1. Even when it's -10C, your neck doesn't need to be swaddled in three layers of neck warmers. One will do.
  2. Walk, don't run, over ice.
  3. Our running pal Dave puts honey and molasses in his water to boost energy.
  4. My friend Janette suggested an article on running and its positive effects on people with depression. Great idea.
  5.  "Snork" - to be included in a future "runner's dictionary" (thanks Janette). It's the inevitable result of running with a little cough. Have to work on the definition.
  6. It is possible to get in 10 minutes of "power shopping" after a long run, provided you park in a downtown area. (Hey, we deserve it, right Janate?)
  7. Consider booking a massage once in awhile. Definitely an idea to research. Lots of good massage therapists in Simcoe County.
  8. Sometimes your running coach, who works out every single day of the week, needs a break from the Saturday long run. Good for you Ann, we all agree it sets a good example - Listen to your body! If it's telling you it wants a break, it's probably right!
  9. Be prepared to rest for the rest of the day. And if you like wine, treat yourself to a glass if you're lucky enough to stay home.
  10. Keep a running journal. It helps motivate and it's fun to look back on, if only to impress yourself and your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment